Program Intern – Fall 2014
PYXERA Global seeks a highly motivated undergraduate or graduate intern to work 30-40 hours per week at our headquarters office in Washington, DC. This position offers interns the chance to experience and work across multiple job functions and with different divisions. This is an excellent opportunity for those who want to work at an international NGO with a focus on global engagement and corporate social responsibility.
The ideal candidate will have experience working in a fast-paced office environment, especially in a programmatic capacity. The intern must be detail-oriented, able to multi-task, and have strong writing and communication skills.
The Program Intern is responsible for assisting in the development, implementation, and monitoring of a number of program activities. S/he is also responsible for assisting in business development activities, including proposal preparation, attending events, and conducting research. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist Program Managers in supporting our field staff and programs
- Assist in financial backstopping, ensuring that budgets are on track and expenses are documented according to internal guidelines
- Assist in recruiting consultants and volunteers
- Participate in the development of USAID and other donor/client proposals
- Handle travel arrangements and coordinate meeting logistics for pro bono programs
- Create up-to-date country-specific briefings and assist in drafting elements of program work plans, required reports (program and financial), and key correspondence sent to clients/donors
- Attend industry events in DC and prepare a debrief for staff
- Research relevant articles and materials on international development, team building, leadership, and sector specific topics
- Conduct research on assigned topics and assist in maintaining the website, social media, and marketing materials
- Assist with admin tasks such as expense reports, database updates, etc.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
Pursuing or holds a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in international relations, economic development, business, or related field and at least 6 months professional or international development experience, or a combination of both.
- Demonstrates initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team to meet program needs
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail required
- Ability to manage diverse activities and to meet deadlines; flexibility in changing situations and priorities
- Strong oral, written, and communication skills
- High level of computer literacy
- Knowledge of foreign language highly desirable
Please email a resume, cover letter, and a sample of your writing to Opportunities@PYXERAGlobal.org. Applications without a writing sample will not be considered. In the subject line of the email please write “PYXERA Global Fall Intern Position 2014”.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Integrated Community Development Director
PYXERA Global is seeking an experienced international development professional to provide technical leadership and programmatic management of engagements focused on integrated community development in some of the world’s most challenging contexts. PYXERA Global’s efforts in this space strive to deliver solutions that address the needs of communities in emerging markets in a culturally appropriate and market-oriented manner. The position will provide Washington DC-based oversight of donor-funded and private sector-backed programs globally while supporting PYXERA Global’s Enterprise and Community Development practice more broadly.
The Technical Advisor will be expected to develop and introduce methodologies for implementation, take the lead on business development initiatives, and represent PYXERA Global in various internal and external events. The ideal candidate will have experience in both project management, as well as experience providing strategy and partnership development, technical assistance, capacity building, and training to practitioners and organizations, and conducting assessments, strategic analysis, and providing advisory services in the areas of community, private sector, and enterprise development. Strong writing and representational skills, combined with ability to lead innovation and drive opportunities, are a must for this position.
- Provide technical leadership around agricultural and value chain development, enterprise and private sector promotion, public-private partnerships, business development services, and market-based economic development.
- Provide home-office operational oversight of donor-funded projects focused on integrated community development.
- Provide technical leadership in design, development, planning, implementation; and capacity-building of specific technical components of various programs.
- Organize presentations and events, engaging relevant networks and communities of practice;
- Maintain a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners and other PYXERA Global departments and projects.
- Develop/maintain collaborative relationships with donors/clients, relevant government agencies, bilateral and other NGOs.
- Develop tools for the design and implementation of specific technical components.
- Represent PYXERA Global in appropriate technical forums, events, and conferences.
- Ensure that project implementation is compliant with PYXERA Global policies and remains technically sound.
- Up to 33% travel to emerging market locations.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience in economic and livelihoods development or related field as outlined above.
- MBA or Master’s degree in international development, economics, social sciences or related field strongly preferred.
- Must have ability to manage projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- Must have excellent written, verbal and cross-cultural communication skills.
- Must be able to read, write and speak fluent English; Spanish, Portuguese, French, or Hindi capability strongly preferred.
This is a full time salaried position with excellent benefits. Pay range for this position is competitive.
Send cover letter, resume and salary requirements via e-mail to email@example.com. Please note the position title in the subject line of the e-mail. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.