MBAs Without Borders Advisors – Belarus
LOCATION & DURATION
Two MBAs Without Borders Advisors will fulfill the role of Business Development Advisors to assist with the Delivering Regional Instruction Vital to Entrepreneurial Success (DRIVES) Program funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) in Belarus. The goal of the DRIVES program is to help expand the private sector by improving access to high quality business education for entrepreneurs in various regions of Belarus.
The Business Development Advisors will work closely with Belarus’ IPM Business School, an institution with the longest history of delivering business education in Belarus. Through IPM Business School, the Business Development Advisors will support the Lead Director and five Regional Managers of six Centers of Excellence in Entrepreneurship (CEE) in Minsk, Brest, Grodno, Vitebsk, Mogilev, and Gomel, Belarus.
The DRIVES Program is led and implemented by PYXERA Global, an international development nonprofit organization based in Washington, DC, and its partners the Global Business School Network (GBSN) and IPM Business School in Belarus. PYXERA Global has 25 years of experience in over ninety countries implementing a variety of economic development programs. Since 1990, PYXERA Global has worked in the Former Soviet Union with the private sector, NGOs, local consulting firms, communities, and government institutions to drive growth and stability in the region.
While Belarus has enjoyed strong economic growth after achieving independence in 1990, much of this growth has relied on favorable external factors. The macroeconomic crises over the past several years have revealed deep structural constraints in Belarus’ state-centered economic policy model. Given the dominance of state-owned enterprises, the growth of the private sector and especially small and medium-sized enterprises are particularly challenged in this environment. Specific challenges facing these businesses in Belarus include limited access to finance, high tax rates, and lack of qualified personnel.
Not only is there a need to jump start small- and medium-sized enterprises, but there is a need to educate emerging entrepreneurs on the basic tenets of what it takes to be a successful entrepreneur in a constantly changing global economy and world.
One of the key tasks of the DRIVES program is to improve the quality and availability of entrepreneurship education in various centers of higher learning throughout all of Belarus. The DRIVES Program is working with international business schools to create customized, current, and relevant entrepreneurship courses. It is also creating six Centers of Excellence in Entrepreneurship nationwide in the cities of Minsk, Brest, Grodno, Vitebsk, Mogilev, and Gomel. Not only will more businesswomen and businessmen nationwide have greater access to cutting edge training in entrepreneurship at these centers, but emerging entrepreneurs will utilize the latest technology and resources to engage in distance learning, as well as networking with more seasoned business owners.
Specifically, the Business Development Advisors will work closely with each other and with the strong technical, administrative, and logistical support of IPM Business School faculty and administration officials to engage in the following activities:
- Support the launch and operationalization of six Centers of Excellence in Entrepreneurship (CEEs)
- Work with local businesses to identify opportunities for growth, develop strategic plans, and provide technical assistance
- Monitor and report on entrepreneurship progress
- Educate and help entrepreneurs to establish new linkages with potential markets, help them grow, diversify business services and product offerings
- Assist CEEs to develop solid business plans and secure sustainable revenue streams
- Provide technical and other support to entrants and CEE staff engaging in Business Case Competitions
- Liaise with IPM faculty and staff to inform them of any foreseen obstacles and challenges
- Utilize traditional and social media to promote the work of the project and successes of entrepreneurs
ESTIMATED TIMETABLE AND TERMS
The position will begin around early July 2015 beginning with a three-day long training in Washington, DC, and will conclude around the end of January 2016.
PROFILE OF SELECTED CANDIDATE
- Master’s in Business Administration, Finance, Economics, or related discipline is required
- Written and oral Russian language skills required
- An outstanding ability to network with diverse stakeholders in the public and private sector; strong ability to teach these skills to emerging entrepreneurs
- Entrepreneurship and experience developing business plans preferred
- Professional experience in marketing and PR preferred
- Ability to present to a variety of audiences and stakeholders including entrepreneurs, government officials, members of academia, and private sector executive level staff
- Excellent project management and leadership skills; well organized, with strong interpersonal, teamwork, and communications skills
- Passion to help emerging entrepreneurs, particularly women and youth, to strengthen their business acumen to successfully jump start their businesses, and stimulate local job creation
ABOUT MBAS WITHOUT BORDERS
Since 1990, PYXERA Global has matched talented and experienced MBA graduates with skill-based volunteer assignments in emerging markets around the world. Over this time over 1,000 highly skilled MBAs have strengthened and supported more than 4,000 enterprises, entrepreneurs, governments, and NGOs.
MBAs Without Borders Advisors utilize their business acumen and skills to provide pro bono consulting services to promote growth, entrepreneurship, and economic development around the world.
MBAs Without Borders assignments are not salaried, however, PYXERA Global ensures that Advisors are fully supported during their assignment. Through the program and its partners, the MBAs Without Borders program provides the following benefits to Advisors:
- A generous living stipend to cover meals and incidentals
- Travel and transportation
- Health insurance with evacuation assistance
In addition to logistical and administrative support provided by PYXERA Global, Advisors are also able to draw upon the experience of PYXERA Global’s team, consultants, and former Advisors to support their work. As a volunteer program, the MWB program meets the criteria accepted by most financial institutions to allow for deferment of student loans for participants during their assignment.
Fall 2015 Program Intern – Global Pro Bono
PYXERA Global seeks a highly motivated undergraduate or graduate intern to work 30-40 hours per week at our headquarters office in Washington, DC. This position offers interns the chance to experience and work across multiple job functions and with different divisions. This is an excellent opportunity for those who want to work at an international NGO with a focus on global engagement and corporate social responsibility.
The ideal candidate will have experience working in a fast-paced office environment, especially in a programmatic or administrative capacity. The intern must be detail-oriented, able to multi-task, and have strong written and communication skills.
KEY POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Program Intern is responsible for supporting the implementation and monitoring of a number of program activities. S/he is also responsible for assisting in business development activities, including monitoring opportunities across donor/client organizations, proposal preparation, attending events, and conducting research. Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Assist Program Managers in supporting our field staff and programs
- Assist in financial backstopping, ensuring that budgets are on track and expenses are documented according to internal guidelines
- Assist in recruiting consultants and volunteers
- Participate in the development of donor/client proposals
- Make travel arrangements and coordinate meeting logistics for pro bono programs
- Create up-to-date country-specific briefings and assist in drafting elements of program work plans, training sessions, required reports (program and financial), and key correspondence sent to clients/donors
- Attend industry events in DC and prepare a debrief for staff
- Research relevant articles and materials on international development, team building, leadership, and sector specific topics
- Conduct research on assigned topics
- Assist in identifying local partner organizations and scope development
- Assist with admin tasks such as expense reports, database updates, etc.;
- Support program and practice area specific tool development, file organization, and overall process improvements.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
Pursuing or holds a Bachelor’s or pursuing a Master’s degree in international relations, economic development, business, or related field and at least 6 months professional or international development experience, or a combination of both.
- Demonstrates initiative and ability to work independently and as a member of a team to meet program needs
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail required
- Ability to manage diverse activities and supervisors, meet competing deadlines, and have flexibility in changing situations and priorities
- Strong oral, written, and communication skills
- High level of computer literacy and Salesforce experience desirable
- Knowledge of foreign language highly desirable, preferably Mandarin Chinese or French.
- Availability to start in late-August or early-September.
Please email a resume, cover letter, and a sample of your writing (no more than 3 pages) to Opportunities@PYXERAGlobal.org. Applications without a writing sample, cover letter, or resume will not be considered. In the subject line of the email please write “PYXERA Global Fall Intern Position 2015”.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Global Pro Bono Program Associate
PYXERA Global is seeking an experienced professional to provide administrative and programmatic support for PYXERA Global’s Global Pro Bono program. The position is an entry-level position that requires a strong focus on travel arrangements, logistics, financial reporting, program backstopping, and country and topic-specific research, as well as some writing. The position will provide the PA with the opportunity to build their program management skills through exposure to a variety of program and business development activities.
The ideal candidate will be able to multitask, take initiative in completing assignments as well as provide high quality program materials. Strong writing and presentation skills, combined with the ability to be innovative and flexible are a must for this position.
KEY POSITION RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Program Associate is responsible for supporting the implementation of PYXERA Global’s programming. Key responsibilities include:
- Arrange travel arrangements and coordinate meeting logistics for programs in collaboration with Program Managers.
- Conduct budget and country research for developing briefing materials for potential new programs and business opportunities.
- Assist in creating and facilitating training sessions for Corporate teams
- Create up-to-date country-specific briefing books and assist in drafting elements of program work plans, required reports (program and financial), and key correspondence sent to clients/donors.
- Prepare and process relevant accounting forms, assist in preparing budgets, and monitoring financial reports.
- Assist in developing detailed scopes of work with local partner organizations.
- Process participant and client survey data and create required reports.
- Capture and share success stories and lessons learned that strengthen PYXERA Global’s existing and planned programs.
- Develop and maintain tools to track reporting and program requirements.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILL REQUIREMENTS:
- US Citizen or Permanent US employment authorization required.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field with a minimum of 3-6 months of experience.
- Demonstrated initiative, innovation, and ability to work independently and as a member of a team to coordinate and/or lead the efforts to effectively meet program/client needs.
- Experience working with cross cultural teams and/or skills-based volunteer programs.
- Ability to multi-task and manage diverse tasks simultaneously.
- Flexible and able to work in a team as well as individually with limited supervision.
- Strong writing and organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Exceptional customer service and problem solving skills.
- Experience in event management or logistics planning.
- Strong knowledge of excel for logistics tracking, reporting, and budgeting a plus
- Preferred language proficiency in Mandarin Chinese.
- Overseas work experience is desired.
This is a full-time salaried position with excellent benefits. Pay range for this position is competitive.
Send a cover letter, resume, salary requirements, and available start-date via e-mail to email@example.com. Please include the position title in the subject line of the e-mail. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.